Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Obsession (not a Calvin Klein fragrance)

I find it so funny that my brain likes to go through periods of deep fascination - dare I call it, obsession? - with different people, places, things, and ideas. There's got to be some epistemological approach to looking at why people become fascinated or fixated on different things... what is it about songs, tv shows, movies, travel plans, recipes, whatever, that captivates us so? What is our brain trying to tell us when we become obsessed with certain things over others?

Regardless of the deeper meaning, I though it'd be fun to blog about the things I'm currently obsessed with and obsessing over:

1. Ellie Goulding - If you haven't listened to her music (and I bet you have; "Lights," "Anything Could Happen," and "Burn" have gotten BIG radio play in the past year or two), I highly recommend it. She is a wildly talented female DJ, musician, and singer. She's got an unusual soprano voice, but it's absolutely captivating. Her newer album, Halcyon, is currently on repeat on Spotify for me.

2. "The Wire" - No thanks to my older brother, I have been binge-watching HBO's hit show "The Wire" until all I think about is The Game, my main man Omar, and the city of Body-More (Murdaland central). Have no idea what I'm talking about? It's okay. I wasn't sold until about halfway through Season 1 of the show, but thanks to the urging of my brother, Alan Seppinwall's genius show recaps (spoilers abound; don't read unless you're watching the show!), and the brilliant writing of showrunner David Simon, I am currently halfway through Season 4 and horribly depressed that the show ended in five seasons. I'm nearing the end, but the show still has me hooked every moment. If you have HBO on-demand, or can borrow a friend or loved one's login to HBOGo, do it. You will not regret the watch (only 5 seasons, and only 12 episodes per season), and you will be in love with Baltimore by the end. 

3. Conference & Job Search Season - Okay, this is a weird one, I'll admit. But it's that time of year in higher education - professional conferences abound, and many people are out on the job search. I myself will be attending 1 professional conference this spring, but I love reading and writing posts about how to make the most out of your conference experience. Then, there's job searching, something I have written about ad nauseam on this blog. I myself am not currently job searching, but I AM taking time to keep my resume updated, to keep myself updated on the latest job trends and availabilities, and to support my friends and colleagues who are searching. I'll be part of mock interviews for IU's Higher Ed program tomorrow; I can't wait to visit with up-and-coming professionals about their resumes, cover letters, and interview tips! Call me a nerd; I embrace it fully. I love this season!

What are you currently obsessing over? What has captivated your mind on this fine day?

1 comment:

  1. You are so great. Love this. Im with you, I, too, love to be updated on job trends and resume stuff! Glad we are in this journey together! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete