Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Gratitude Lesson #2: When Skies Are Gray

As a part of my One Word 2015, Gratitude, I'm trying to take some time to recount and reflect on lessons I'm learning about gratitude.

Today's post is going to be short, but it needs to be written.

It's mid-winter now. Although daylight is finally getting longer again, the cold weather just won't let up, and the odds are that days are cloudy instead of sunny. Life, too, is often "cloudy" and challenging this time of year. Not only are my work and professional commitments abuzz with the turn of the year, this is just one of those times that everything seems to be converging on me all at once.

Some of it is good - new responsibilities at work, the beginning of the graduate student hiring season - and some of it is not so good.

There are times in life when skies are gray, proverbially and literally. What I'm learning to be grateful for are the people around me who manage to bring the sun out whenever they're around. Loved ones who I talk to on the phone or via text or G-chat; coworkers who know exactly what joke or story to tell; students who pop in to tell me enthusiastically about their new program idea or just to say "hi."

These are the bright rays of sunshine that brighten up my cloudy days, and for these moments, I'm awfully thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment