Sunday, July 12, 2015

Breathe in, Breathe out

I woke up this morning in a terrible mood. I won't go into the reasons why, at the risk of airing my #firstworldproblems (really, the reasons are very silly). But, the fact remains - I woke up this morning in a terrible mood.

I spent the first part of my day dwelling on this bad mood. I gave the anger and the sadness time, and I gave it my attention, and I gave it energy. As I was making my bed, as I was doing laundry, as I was eating breakfast, I was dwelling in this bad, sad place.

Then, I heard a still, small voice.

Open your Bible, it said.

So I did. And Psalm 62 grabbed my attention.

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. 
He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
...
Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge.
(62: 1-2, 8)

There's that still, small voice again: I am your refuge. I am your fortress. Trust in Me. Pour out your heart to me.

Who am I to argue with that still, small voice? 

So I decided to roll out my yoga mat and do a little centering. With each breath in and out, I took in peace, strength, and hope; I exhaled my worries, my fears, my sadness, my anger. 

I'm not perfect. This day may be up and down. But I have an anchor to which I can cling, a hope that will never disappear, a refuge that will never be shaken.

As my yogi asked me to declare my intentions for the day, the still, small voice supplied His intention for my day, for my life:

You are not alone.

1 comment: